Research Center Trustworthy Data Science and Security
The Research Center Trustworthy Data Science and Security addresses the trustworthiness of intelligent systems in safety-critical applications. A unique, human-centered research approach covers the entire interdisciplinary research of trustworthy data analytics, explainable machine learning, and privacy-aware algorithms.
Trust in the age of the digital society
The level of digitalization is constantly increasing in many areas of our lives. Accompanying this are major scientific challenges for artificial intelligence, machine learning and cybersecurity: establishing trust and formally guaranteeing it. The Research Center Trustworthy Data Science and Security addresses this challenge at the crossroads between the development of digital technology and societal acceptance. Our goal is to develop trustworthy technology and to enable humans to understand this technology.
Human-centered research approach
The interdisciplinary research focuses on long-term research questions that we can only in an interdisciplinary manner: How can people gain a better understanding of intelligent systems? How can we implement provable trust and security guarantees into machine learning? How shall we balance privacy and functionality?
To answer these and other open research questions we engage in joint research efforts between social sciences, data sciences, and IT security. Thereby, the human as a decision maker in industry, academia and politics is at the heart of our ongoing and future research. These decision-makers must be enabled to gain trust in intelligent systems, and to understand and regulate them.
Collaborative projects and graduate training
The new research center builds on a strong and long-standing foundation of individual research projects, collaborative projects, and interdisciplinary graduate education. Seven ERC-funded projects, one cluster of excellence, two collaborative research centers, five interdisciplinary graduate schools, and one federal competence center in machine learning are a testament to the strength of research in this area:
- Cluster of Excellence – EXC 2092: CASA: Cyber Security in the Age of Large-Scale Adversaries
- Collaborative Research Center 823: Statistical modelling of nonlinear dynamic processes
- Collaborative Research Center 876: Providing Information by Resource-Constrained Data Analysis
- Research Training Group 2624: Biostatistical Methods for High-Dimensional Data in Toxicology
- Research Training Group 2193: Adaption Intelligence of Factories in a Dynamic and Complex Environment
- Research Training Group 2167: User-Centred Social Media
- NRW Research College SecHuman: Human Security in Cyberspace
- Research training group Dataninja: Trustworthy AI for Seamless Problem Solving (Next Generation Intelligence Joins Robust Data Analysis)
- Competence Center Machine Learning Rhine-Ruhr (ML2R)
The Research Center Trustworthy Data Science and Security cooperates with the following partners in the Ruhr metropolitan area:
- Center for Advanced Internet Studies (CAIS), Bochum
- Leibniz Research Centre for Working Environment and Human Factors (IfADo), Dortmund
- Max Planck Institute for Security and Privacy, Bochum
- Fraunhofer Institute for Material Flow and Logistics (IML), Dortmund
- Fraunhofer Institute for Software and Systems Engineering (ISST), Dortmund
Contact for further information
Scientific Board Members:
- Prof. Dr. Nicole Krämer, University of Duisburg-Essen
- Prof. Dr. Emmanuel Müller, TU Dortmund University
- Prof. Dr. Christof Paar, MPI-SP und Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Prof. Dr. Markus Pauly, TU Dortmund University
- Michel Lang, E-Mail: email@example.com
Research Centre 'Trustworthy Data Science and Security' is part of the Research Alliance Ruhr.