Research Center One Health - from Molecules to Systems
The Research Center One Health – from Molecules to Systems investigates the fundamental mechanisms of health and disease, starting from the molecular level right through to higher-level systems. The ecosystem serves as a context for also considering the complex interrelationships between environmental health, animal health and human health, in keeping with the “One Health” concept. After all, humans can only stay healthy in an intact environment.
On the one hand, the Research Center deals with fundamental molecular and systemic control mechanisms that maintain healthy physical and mental functional mechanisms. And, on the other, it focuses on disorders within systems that cause deviations from the normal state, thus causing diseases in the broadest sense of the word. In addition, the “One Health” concept needs to be developed further on a theoretical level and applied to new technologies. The focus here is on the fields of molecular biology, water research, molecular cancer research, and neuroscience.
In the Research Center One Health - from Molecules to Systems, different disciplines of the life sciences work together:
- Environmental sciences
Infrastructure and collaborative projects
The Research Center One Health - from Molecules to Systems has access to laboratories with special equipment in two research buildings and three additional new buildings:
- Research Building ProDi: Center for Protein Diagnostics (ProDi)
- Research Building THINK: Center for Theoretical and Integrative Neuroscience and Cognitive Science
- Institute for Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
- National Center for Tumor Diseases (under construction since 2021)
- FutureWaterCampus (under construction)
Numerous Collaborative Research Centers and Transregios attest to successful collaborative research:
- CRC 874: Integration and Representation of Sensory Processes
- CRC 1093: Supramolecular Chemistry on Proteins
- CRC 1280: Extinction Learning
- CRC 1430: Molecular Mechanisms of Cell State Transitions
- CRC 1439: Degradation and Recovery of Stream Ecosystems under Multiple Stresses - RESIST
- CRC / TR 289: The Influence of Expectancy on the Effectiveness of Medical Treatments
- CRC / TR 296: Local control of thyroid hormone action (LocoTact)
Non-university partners and transfer institutions
The Research Center One Health - from Molecules to Systems cooperates closely with the MPI in Dortmund as well as transfer platforms in the neighboring Technology Park.
- Max Planck Institute for Molecular Physiology, Dortmund
- Drug Discovery Hub Dortmund
- BioMedicineCenter Dortmund
Scientific Board Members:
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Onur Güntürkün, Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Prof. Dr. Dirk Schadendorf, Essen University Hospital
- Prof. Dr. Bernd Sures, University of Duisburg-Essen
- Dr. Sara Letzner, Phone: +49 201 183 3361, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Centre 'One Health - from Molecules to Systems' is part of the Research Alliance Ruhr.